Step 1
Chapter 4
Instead of providing a direct example of capital market, the author gave
us a contrast example, Sydney Fish Market, a real image helping us to gain a
clear understanding of capital markets. They are opposite concepts. Capital
markets are not like fish markets in which what you see is what you get, they
trade in expectations. How risky that is!! That means equity investors must
have a number of particular skills in predicting the future depending on some
relevant factors to reduce the risks of predictions in decision making. Because
I think no one can predict exactly what will happen in the future, there must
always be some unpredicted cases which decision makers should have deep
considerations.
Understanding the past is the best steps forward predicting the future
and the key tool supporting to have a throughout understanding of the past is a
firm’s financial statements. So I think providing a high trusted quality firm’s
financial statements is an important requirement of any firms.
How we can work effectively with a firm’s financial statement is my
question when I know its importance in decision making. Fortunately, then the
author let me know an effective way in viewing a business is to restate the
financial statements including restated statement of changes in equity,
restated balance sheet and restated income statement with operating and
financial activities are classified. But I don’t know why we have to separate
these two kinds of activities? Also, I wonder why don’t firms prepare and
provide restated annual reports because of their importance and for more
convenient and easier for investors in making decision? Is it mainly because
while working hard with the financial statements to restate them, external
entities will gain a full knowledge of firm’s activities like my practical
experiments with my company BPI?
The dividends which equity investors receive are not ‘add value’ of
firms to them. It is just simply a transfer of value between a firm and its
equity investor. I was surprised because I had a misunderstanding before I got
this document that dividends like my grandfather receives annually each year
are not the profit he gains from his invest. Actually, they are the value he
already owns.
Free cash flow (FCF) is also a transfer of value but within a firm,
between its operating and financial activities. The more a firm invests into
its operating assets, the less will be FCF and DCF approach. Yes, it did make
me confuse. Is there any particular ratio? Does this simply mean that when a
firm invests more, it will do not have much free cash and discounted leaf? The
example of Ryman Healthcare is not about the thing I confused, it is about the
expectancy of the firm is to earn grater and ‘add value’ to its equity
investors when they invest more into operating assets. I think it is a normal
knowledge which lots of people have. Fortunately, another more detailed example
of this firm in 2014 did helped understand the relationship between FCF and
investing. Because FCF = OI- I so my question is answer. And I also got that if
a firm more into operating assets is, the return come in the future will be
stronger and that is the way it ‘add value’ to equity investor. So my own short
summary for this relationship is the more investment into operating assets, the
less FCF and the more value will be.
FCF is a measure of transfer of value, whereas economic profit is a
direct one. One important facet in creating value is opportunity cost of
capital which requires decision makers to judge and evaluate carefully because
you can only invest it in one thing at a time. That may why it is called
‘opportunity cost’.
When we want to know how a firm is adding value to its equity
investors, we need to focus on cash flow and economic profit. This information
help me to answer my question in the last ASS1 when I did not know that where I
have to look at when I want to know whether my firm created any value or not.
Having separate operating and financial activities is
necessary when restating a firm’s financial statements. Actually, I did not
understand why we need to classify these two things in the introduce paragraphs
of this chapter. After reading this section I understand that separating these
two activities help us focus on a firm’s operating activities where value is
added (or destroyed) and are firm’s interactions with the product and input
markets, with its customers and suppliers. Financial activities are firm’s
interactions with the capital market, with equity and debt investor to gain a
full knowledge of the firm’s activities in given period time. Although the
author gave me an understandable image of a small chocolate egg in which the
outside chocolate egg surrounding the toy inside is the financial activities
and the toy is operating activities, I am looking forward an example of a firm
with their particular financial and operating activities. But thanks to this
chapter especially the Finger 4-1, I have a clear understanding with these two
activities helping me to restate my firm’s financial statement more effectively
because when I put information from those statement to excel in the last ASS1,
I have no idea about the headings.
The knowledge I gain form ‘Statement of changes in
equity’ is very useful for me because it outlined the relationship between a
firm’s income statement and balance sheet. Actually, I know that the value of
equity (from the previous balance sheet) + the earnings (from the income statement)
= the value of equity (from the current balance sheet). After I gained this
knowledge, I want to check with my company but I wonder whether the value of
equity in balance sheet is the total equity and the earning in income statement
is the earnings per share or not?
The thing we need to do when restating a statement of
changes in equity is only includes genuine equity because a firm’s equity
sometimes can include some debt.
‘Restate two key financial statements’ gives me a very
useful knowledge in restating my own financial statements especially balance
sheet and income statement. The author suggests us an effective way to separate
a firm’s operating and financial activities is to print out a firm’s balance
sheet and income statement and to put an ‘O’ (for operating) and ‘F’ (for
financial). This way is useful for me because as the way I did is to change the
color of operating is red is not as convenient as having a hard copy of these
documents. Studying carefully this section help a lot in the most difficult
step in restating a firm’s income statement is to allocate tax and I also know
that the greater a firm’s profit the grater the amount of tax it have pay. So
by looking at the different amount of the total tax my company had to pay each
year I can know the profit they created more or less than the other year.
Moving to section 4.4, a thing I confuse is 'All other
things being equal' so what are ' all other things'? What are being equal? They
are stores, inventory, head offices, car dealership, aren't they? A car
dealership usually only make occasional sales of cars each week instead of
selling large amounts of goods each day like a supermarket. Do they do
accounting every day like supermarkets do?
Break things in a firm's financial performance into
its profitability (profit for each dollar of sales) and its efficiency (sales
for each dollar it has invested).
Economic profit = (RNOA - cost of capital) * NOA
So economic profit of firms is made up of three
things: RNOA, cost of capital and NOA. So I think in order to increase firm's
economic profit, they need to invest into NOA and decrease the cost of capital
as much as possible.
Making an 'adequate' profit margin is the ultimate aim
of any firm. My company's operating profit margin for the year ended 31
December 2014 from its restated income statement is: PM = OI/Sales = £19.9m/£ 499m = 3.98%. My company’s
profit margin is quite low and the ‘Sales’ in my company’s financial statement is
‘Turnover’
I agree with the author that most people including me
consider profit margin as an important part in creating value to shareholders.
But I want to understand why he said that he focuses more on its interaction
with efficiency that motivates me moving to efficiency part. After studying
this part, I understand that RNOA is not driven by PM only but by the
combination of PM and ATO which is the interaction and trade-offs between them
(RNOA = PM*ATO).
In conclusion, this chapter let me know where I need
to look at in a firm's statement to know how a firm adds value: They are cash
flow and economic profit. Also, it brings me the way to separate the operating
and financial activities effectively when I restate my company’s financial
statements and I have a deeper understanding the importance of classifying
these two activities through a wide range of helpful provided knowledge and
easily understandable examples.
Step
2
Restating my firm’s financial statements is not easy after studying carefully Chapter 4, I started with statement of changes in equity. I found it is a bit easy and it just took me a short time but there are some of the difficult account names in my firm’s financial statement I do not understand such as ‘Actuarial gain on defined benefit pension schemes’ and ‘IFRS 2 charge in relation to equity settled transactions’. I cannot find these headings in the document of Chapter 4 so I posted them in ASS#2 Forum and discussed with my fellow as well. Then I understand that ‘Actuarial gains and losses’ are accounts using for pension plans to predict about the rate of salary increases, the length of employee tenure, an appropriate discount rate for the plan obligations and the expected rate of return on plan assets in future. ‘IFRS 2’ providing guidance on the accounting for share based payments to recognize share-based payment transactions (such as granted shares, share options, or share appreciation rights) in its financial statements.
Then I moved to restate my firm’s balance sheet. It was
a bit harder because I have to separate the operating and financial activities.
However it was not too difficult because
almost accounts in my firm are similar with the example of Ryman Healthcare
balance sheet so I can use it as an effective tool.
Finally, like many other students, I found it is so challenging to me with tax benefit. Although I got that Tax benefit = Net interest expense
* Tax rate of the firm, the results of Comprehensive Net Profit After Tax (CI)
are not same with the figures in financial statements. After telling my issue
to others students in the course I realized that my problem is the tax rate. Because
I used the same tax rate of the year 2014 to multiply with the other year,
rather multiplying with their own tax rates which are different in each year
(2011: 26.5%; 2012: 24.5%; 2013: 23.25%; 2014: 21.5%).
Step 3
Product 1: Light Duty Refuse Sack, Cube Dispenser
Selling price: $50.00
Variable cost: $20.00
Contribution margin: $30.00
Product 2: Recycled Plastic Planter with Corner Posts
Selling price: $40.00
Variable cost: $10.00
Contribution margin: $30.00
Product 3: Visqueen Heavy Duty Aprons
Selling price: $30.00
Variable cost: $8.00
Contribution margin: $22.00
I estimated these products’ selling price and variable
cost and then calculated their contribution margin with no relevant evidence. I
just guess and think that the price should be affordable and the amount of
contribution margin should make up approximately two-thirds of the total price
in order to contribute more profit for my company’s revenues. However, they are
quite different for each of my firm’s three products. For example, the variable
cost of Refuse Sack may be higher than two others. Although all of them are
household products, the amount of sold product of Refuse Sack can be greater
than Plastic Planter and Duty Apron’s. It simply because we normally change
sack for bin almost every day but we do not buy so many planters and aprons. So
the amount of product of Refuse Sack sold will be larger making its contribution
margins differ from others. Actually, different products are made from
different sources of material, time and labor effort affecting to the fixed
cost leading to different contribution margins. The products with the highest
contribution margins will have the greater amount of profit. However, because
of capacity constraints and firms actually produce everything they can sale to
gain profit as much as possible. Therefore firms should not only produce the
product with the highest contribution margin.
My firm’s resource constraints can be polymer, my firm’s main raw
material, which depends on fluctuating prices for ethylene and, to a lesser
extent naphtha and oil. Energy also can be a constraints with my firm because
to run the recycling system they need a huge amount of energy converting into
electricity or thermal energy.
Some market constraints may impinge my firm can be the
competition prices because the cost of recycling is not cheap. But almost of
their main products are household goods so the prices they provide should me as
affordable as possible to keep their profit. The cost of their material is
expensive as well so they need to do research carefully about their available
suppliers.







Hi Ly,
ReplyDeleteMy feedback on your draft:
Step1 : Very nicely and in detailed KCQ. I enjoyed reading through how you felt while reading the chapter and what you understood of it. I can understand that its difficult to relate the chapter readings to personal experience however overall it was a well written reflection of the chapter.
Step 2: Restated financials look great and it similar the ones other students have posted. However I like how you have mentioned all the challenges that you faced while preparing the financial and restating them and also the steps you took to face these. Well done!
Step 3 : The three products chosen are easy to relate to something that I would use. You have explained how you have calculated your costs and the reasons why the cost are relevant to each product. Also you have given the constraints you might think these products would have and explained it very well.
Overall I well presented draft and shows a lot of hard work and effort put into it. Good luck.
Hi Lily. Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking it out and providing the feedback you did. Here is the feedback for you
ReplyDeleteYour step one was great, it sounds like you really thought about what you were reading which then a lot of questions arose from, I enjoyed reading your questions. My feedback from this step is to share more of your own experiences, ideas or concepts and how you can relate previous experiences into the reading. Only something minor but your step one was pleasant to read. Step 2, great job on balancing your income statement, the only thing which I may suggest to take a look into is the CI figure from your Financial Performance for 2014 J105 matching the CI figure in your equity statement at J16. This may be correct and my limited knowledge says that those should match? Perhaps take a look into that from the examplars.
Good job !
Thanks, Nick